So your roof has seen better days and is in a current state of deterioration. Unfortunately, you have to make the decision to get a new roof sooner than you expected. But where do you start? First of all, you have to decide on what material will best fit your home. This is definitely easier said than done. With so much information running rampid on the internet, searching for answers can get even more confusing. Hopefully this article about pros and cons of asphalt shingles will help you make that important decision.
This material is generally used for many kinds of homes, from modern in Orange County to historic. Some of the advantages are listed below:
- Rather inexpensive compared to other roofing materials
- Have a lot of variety (colors and types) to help fit the style of your home
- Process involved to repair this material is simple
- Is a fire and wind resistant material
- work well with a variety of different slope type roofs
But there are some disadvantages when it comes to asphalt shingles:
- Susceptible to moss and mildew
- Not a friendly material for the environment
- Not very durable
- During the hot summers, the sun beating down on your roof can cause scars (damage).
- Expected to last from a range of 15-30 years which is relatively short.
- Contact us for roof options lasting more than 50 years!
The Orange County Roofing Pros!
Hopefully you were enlightened about the pros and cons of asphalt shingles. Here at Western Roofing Systems, we have a lot of experience with all the different types of roofs in Southern California (OC, LA, Riverside) and up north (Campbell, San Jose). Our team has come to the conclusion that metal roofs give you the most bang for your buck. Even so, we are trying provide enough information to help you decide which material will best fit your home.